[tor-relays] Reminder: don't run transparent proxies at exits

eric gisse jowr.pi at gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 11:43:12 UTC 2015

Yes :(

1) Blanket caching on port 80 is mostly fine, but not completely due
to squid dropping/erroring on non-http traffic. Not acceptable.
2) I've been unable to find a way to pass non-http traffic in a reliable way.
3) netfilter inspection to determine protocol ends with the layer7
filter project which appears to dead. I might be able to nudge the
inspection capabilities up to current 3.x kernels but that's iffy, but
either way it isn't currently functional or even functional-adjacent.
4) A *gobsmackingly large* (40k+) amount of CLOSE_WAIT connections to
squid gets setup over a period few hours, and I'm at a bit of a loss
as to why.

I've never had this problem before with previous personal or
professional usage of squid...

This breaks the fuck out of everything anyway after a few hours.

I am unmoved by the philosophical considerations. But there are
serious practical ones that I didn't fully think through. So, the
puppet manifest for squid gets put away again and the iptables rule is
removed until I can solve the above problems.

I'm keeping DNS caching though. DNS gets to be pretty slow, as seen
from this segment of the bind statistics output:

              283152 queries with RTT < 10ms
             1724419 queries with RTT 10-100ms
             1006967 queries with RTT 100-500ms
               60675 queries with RTT 500-800ms
               48536 queries with RTT 800-1600ms
                2961 queries with RTT > 1600ms

I assume everyone's ok with that, right? :p