[tor-relays] IP addresses as false positives?

eliaz eliaz at riseup.net
Tue Jan 6 10:34:36 UTC 2015

grarpamp:
>> I run in a dedicated low-power box on my LAN, to save electricity. Is
>> that as good as a VM?
>
> Whichever way you like. If you've got all sorts of virii/malware
> going on in an environment of exposure you wouldn't want
> your regular personal files or activities exposed to that.

All my connections/boxes/firewalls are OK, generally get very few alert s

>> I don't know  how to confirm that exits are MITMs. I can post the FPs of
>
> Turn off TBB, Tor, bridge, vidalia, socks, everything about tor.
> Browse to the same place/url you got an alert with normal Firefox
> over clearnet See if you get an alert.
>
>> the ones that show up, though. So far all the alerts lead me to
>> recognizable nodes that show up OK in Atlas, etc.

My mistake. One IP address can't be found in Atlas or Globe. See below.

> Others have not reporting 'all these alerts' and exits "several days".
> If you wanted to you could post the name and version
> of your "AV program" and your OS version.
> And the full text of one of these alerts (if it's not
> sensitive to you) and the exit FP.

I've gone back to my records. The .txt attachment gives what I'd gotten
for three different IP addresses. I'm not panicked about this & don't
expect anyone to put more time into my query. But the different results
may interest someone. - eliaz