[tor-relays] HardwareAccel: Current proper use???

Sebastian Urbach sebastian at urbach.org
Sat Jan 3 14:07:08 UTC 2015

On January 3, 2015 2:42:44 PM usprey <usprey at gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

> On 3 January 2015 at 13:56, Sebastian Urbach <sebastian at urbach.org> wrote:
> > On January 3, 2015 10:41:42 AM usprey <usprey at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi usprey,

> >> "HardwareAccel" option.

> > The docu is not exactly a high-performance howto :-)
>
> np, would just like to elaborate this option in the manual for people
> not fluent in OpenSSL.

Since the hardware feature became more relevant in the last time i'm really
looking forward to have a fresh set of eyes looking into it. Sometimes i
find myself assuming things that shouldn't be assumed when it comes to new
relays. If you feel the docu lacks something, please provide some input :-)

> >> I could not find a definitive answer in the archives or in
> >>
> >> https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor.git/log/?qt=grep&q=hardwareaccel&showmsg=1
> >> .
> >>
> >> https://www.torservers.net/wiki/setup/server#aes-ni_crypto_acceleration
> >> claims
> >> no intervention is needed in regards of aes-ni accelaration, but I would
> >> like to add an explanation or source to this recommendation.
> >>
> >> Question_1:
> >> If my CPU supports and have loaded aesni_intel on linux with OpenSSL is
> >> 1.0.1.j-1, should I leave HardwareAccel off or explicitly enable it?
> >

> > You don't have to change anything with 1.0.1.j-1, leave the default.
> >

> >> Question_2:
> >> What does "*built-in (static) crypto hardware acceleration*" refer to?
> >> Dedicated hardware, CPU-support or...?
> >

> > It specifically means that you have the aes_ni cpu capabilities / flag. I
> > have seen this flag on dedicated systems and also on vps systems as well. If
> > the cpu / bios provides the flag and all other requirements are met (as
> > stated in the torservers.net docu) you can use that feature on any system.
>
> k, ty, will venture into OpenSSL docs.
>

> > I would very much appreciate it if you would switch to text mail format,
> > thanks.
>
> k, is that the preferred default on these lists?

All lists i know prefer plain text, just better readable for everybody.