[tor-relays] guard-failing message

eliaz eliaz at riseup.net
Fri Feb 27 05:47:40 UTC 2015

My bridge's log showed:

Feb 24 02:25:45.940 [Warning] Your Guard < guard name and fp > is
failing a very large amount of circuits. Most likely this means the Tor
network is overloaded, but it could also mean an attack against you or
potentially the guard itself. Success counts are 129/259. Use counts are
38/38. 242 circuits completed, 0 were unusable, 113 collapsed, and 5
timed out. For reference, your timeout cutoff is 60 seconds.

Globe showed no 3-day chart for the guard.  For my bridge, the chart
showed a lot of traffic, the peaks or less than a KB.  This pattern has
been going on for a few days.

The bridge usage display shows the usual traffic, but more anemic the
past several days.

To be on the safe side I did the following:

* shut down the bridge,

* reset my gateway address,

* restarted the bridge after about 1/2 hour.

Have I overreacted? - eliaz