[tor-relays] Same relay (identity key) on two IPs

catchthemall lists at 3-volution.net
Thu Feb 26 13:31:09 UTC 2015

Hi all,

tl;dr:

Due to a config error my relay [1] was running on two different IPs at
the same time for about half a day. Now the traffic has dropped.
I just wanted to make sure that it is not flagged as malicious or
something ...
Additionally I am curious about the policy in such a case. What happens
if a relay shows up in the network with the same identity key but on
different IP addresses?

long-version (kinda funny):

I am using webtropia [2] as a service provide which is, as far I can
tell, is a good choice for running a relay. Some time ago I decided to
change the hosting plan and switch to another offer at the same
provider. For that reason I let my old contract run out until they
notified me that my server will be shut down and deleted.
After receiving this notification I checked that indeed my relay server
was no longer reachable.
Some time passed by until I had time to setup my old relay (same identiy
key) on the new server. Done so I launched it and was happy to enjoy the
increased bandwidth.
What I missed was that in the meantime the old server was reactivated by
the hosting provider without notifying me and as a result was running at
the same time as the new one for about half a day.

After I recognised this, I tried to ssh to the old server - which still
worked perfectly and indeed confirmed that everything was as I left it.
I shut down the relay running on the old server and wrote an e-mail to
the hosting provider checking if they are going to charge me the
reactivation and why the hell reactivated it.
Up until now I only got an response that my old server was "shut down"
and that the "hard disk was deleted on the 29.01.2015" ...

.. I thought well ... since I can still ssh to that server I kinda doubt
that this is the case.
So since I still had ssh access to the "shut down server" I decided to
setup another relay on the "deleted hard disk" of this machine until
they believe me that there exists a small possibility that this thing is
still running ...
The "ghost" relay [2] is running fine up until now.

[1]
https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/5A9B5923F4937C3ED76B0AD4CF1030C11FCAF1FA
[2] http://www.webtropia.com/index.php
[3]