[tor-relays] 7 relays gone because of spammers

Richard Johnson rdump at river.com
Thu Feb 26 03:17:23 UTC 2015

On 2015-02-25 11:35, Speak Freely wrote:
> The Abuse department's rationale is as follows:
> "Your account was suspended because 100% of your IPs are blacklisted on
> multiples lists for Spam and other malicious activities.
> This case is closed and this decision is final."

Speaking as an abuse desk lead investigator who has had unfortunate
experiences reporting issues to OVH, I can assure you that OVH's abuse
department is institutionally incompetent.  While they have some good staff,
their system is set up to break those staff members and their outcomes in
almost all ways possible.

What you're encountering is apparently part of their data feed quality
problem.  Reading between their words, they're mistakenly using a list of Tor
nodes (perhaps they bought a cheapo mislabeled list) in place of a competently
maintained list of spam sources and malicious actors.

On the flip side of data quality, what also occurs from and by OVH is massive
email spam runs from their pet spammers like netmessage.com and oxemis.net.
One competent list which tracks ovh.net spammers contains over 20,000 spam
source IPs where spam was sent from French-speaking "high volume email
deployers" to trap addresses.  The list is huge because ovh.net seems to
quickly give these spammers new IP ranges as the previous ones are firewalled
for cause.

Oddly for a provider that claims to want to stop spam, to the point they use
that as an excuse to shut your servers, ovh.net doesn't do anything to
disconnect the *actual* spammers they host, or even slow them down.

I thus recommend you do a chargeback.  Get your money back, on the grounds
that ovh.net first lied to you to close the sale, and now they're probably
lying to you about the real reason they're disconnecting.  I think they've
been dealing in very bad faith with you, and you shouldn't have to pay for that.

Richard