[tor-relays] 7 relays gone because of spammers

Chris Patti cpatti at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 21:07:55 UTC 2015

I'm having a similar situation.  Linode issued a ToS violation because
my linode on which I run a relay was a source of spam.

Very strange because I had reject *.* (no exit) set in my torrc.

Anyway I've had to give up and shut down FiatLux.  Kind of a bummer, I
really enjoyed contributing to Tor.

-Chris

On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 1:35 PM, Speak Freely <when2plus2is5 at riseup.net> wrote:
> Hello fellow relay runners,
>
> This morning OVH decided to kill 7 of my relays due to spamming, and
> block all access to all services. I ran the Reduced Exit policy for all
> of my relays.
>
> Due to heightened concerns about this affecting other unrelated services
> I have with OVH, I had to shut down the other 3 relays. They may
> eventually re-appear as middle-relays.
>
> This has cost me hundreds of dollars, as I foolishly decided to prepay
> on an annual basis. None of the servers were older than 2 months. Some
> were only a few weeks old.
>
> The Abuse department's rationale is as follows:
> "Your account was suspended because 100% of your IPs are blacklisted on
> multiples lists for Spam and other malicious activities.
> This case is closed and this decision is final."

> When I first contacted OVH regarding running Tor relays, this was the
> response that I received from them, which does not mesh with what just
> happened.
>
> "Good morning Matt,
>
> I'm very glad to here from you. It is very flattering to hear that you
> are very satisfied by our service at OVH!
>
> We do take our network speed and hardware performance very seriously
> here. We are proud of our infrastructure that we have built over the years.
>
> I do understand your concerns about setting up a Tor relay on one of our
> VPS. In a simple form, yes you can.
>
> We do let our customers use our VPS as Tor relays. We have no problem in
> letting you this.
>
> However, your are allowed to use Tor but it will be at your own risk.
>
> Rest assure that, in case of an abuse, we will not terminate your
> account without notice. In fact we may not even terminate your VPS. You
> will receive a warning from our Abuse department giving you a choice to
> resolve the abuse case.
>
> Like you said, we are in a world where free speech is constantly under
> attack and we are committed to help as much as possible to protect this
> fundamental right that we all have. We will absolutely not in any case
> share our customers information or data to authorities without a warrant.
>
> For any other questions or concerns, feel free to contact us at any
> time. We are available 24/7.
>
> Good luck with that privacy project of yours and keep on supporting the
> cause of free speech!
>
> Thank you for contacting OVH and have a wonderful day!
>
> Colin K.
> Customer Advocate"

> Not that it matters anymore, but each relay was dedicated to one of the
> victims of the Charlie Hebdo attack.
> https://atlas.torproject.org/#search/4charlie

> Eventually I will get back at this... But for now, my money is gone, and
> all my hard work is lost.

Christopher Patti - Geek At Large | GTalk: cpatti at gmail.com | AIM:
chrisfeohpatti | P: (260) 54PATTI
"Technology challenges art, art inspires technology." - John Lasseter, Pixar