[tor-relays] "Very Safe" Exit Policy

Chris Patti cpatti at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 15:00:44 UTC 2015

Thanks for that Roger, it's a valid point.  How do they simultaneously
protect the rights of their actual users while warning against all the
bad actors that feel the need to defecate all over such an important
service (Tor, that is :).

Part of me thinks that some kind of system like the way car insurance
works in the US with 'points' might make sense, but that would totally
break the whole point of Tor - to provide anonymity for its users.

Bleah.

Pesky humans :)

-Chris

On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 11:55 AM, Roger Dingledine <arma at mit.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 11:02:45AM -0500, Chris Patti wrote:
>> I tried running an exit for a bit and it lasted a few weeks before
>> some brainless wonder hijacked someone's Gmail with my exit, so I had
>> to pull it down and go relay only.
>
> Even worse (or maybe better), this sort of thing happens when a Tor user
> connects to her Gmail, and then Google warns her that there was a Tor
> connection and omg it's time to freak out, and then she freaks out.
>
> I mean, maybe it happened the way you describe, but also maybe it didn't.
> The large services like Gmail and Facebook have been struggling over
> the past few years to find the right balance between "if there's a
> connection from Tor, tell the user to freak out" and "actually for some
> users connecting over Tor is totally the smarter move, and we should
> encourage that".
>
> --Roger

Christopher Patti - Geek At Large | GTalk: cpatti at gmail.com | AIM:
chrisfeohpatti | P: (260) 54PATTI
"Technology challenges art, art inspires technology." - John Lasseter, Pixar