[tor-relays] automation needs of big relay ops (implemented as ansible role)

Moritz Bartl moritz at torservers.net
Tue Feb 17 23:00:02 UTC 2015

On 02/17/2015 11:48 PM, Nusenu wrote:
> I'm wondering why a relay (not bridge) op would order that many IP
> addresses on a host were he can not make use of it, but adding a
> simple check like "stop creating new instances once RAM/instancecount
> below X" is possible (or "ok lets use the remaining IPs for bridges" ;).

For exit relays, you want WHOIS reassignment. Many providers only offer
that for larger IP ranges, and then by default assign all of them to the
machine. I would expect many relay admins to take the default install
and simply run ansible on top of that, so they don't even actively set
up all the IPs by themselves (or have an interest in using them all),
they simply 'inherit' them from the ISP.

--
Moritz Bartl
https://www.torservers.net/