[tor-relays] new ansible-tor features: automatic instance configuration + automatic MyFamily generation (PATCH)

Nusenu nusenu at openmailbox.org
Tue Feb 17 17:29:37 UTC 2015

Hi,

For reference, this thread started here [2].

Arzhel and Moritz, could you comment on whether you prefer to manually
create/specify tor instances (via 'proc_instances') as you do here
[1], or whether you would make use of an instance auto configuration
(two instances per IP - see example here [2])?

If you prefer manual configuration: Do your manual steps follow any
specific design that could be automated as well or are these steps
unpredictable? :)

[1]
https://github.com/XioNoX/moz-tor-relays/blob/master/host_vars/tor-relay1
[2]
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-relays/2015-February/006414.html

David Stainton wrote:
>> - - the directory layout change is more cosmetic but your current
>> way (everything in /etc) is rather unusual and as an example
>> would require custom logrotate configuration that wouldn't be
>> required otherwise
>
> OK... I don't have a strong opinion... and I think the parent
> directory for all this should be configuration via a role variable
> so that the user can specify.

The user is free to specify the vars in a flexible way. Defaults in
the patch are:
tor_ConfDir: /etc/tor
tor_PidDir: /var/run/tor
tor_LogDir: /var/log/tor
tor_DataDir: /var/lib/tor

> However I initially created this Ansible role to help Moritz of
> torservers.net and those people that may be working for him;
> therefore pull requests and feedback helps; for instance Moritz
> specified several features it should have... and an engineer
> working for Mozilla chatted with me about the features they
> needed; then he sent me a pull request on github.

I'm surprised that Moritz didn't ask for automatic MyFamily generation ;)

>>> I'd be much more likely to merge your patches if they were one
>>> feature per patch... instead of this monolithic patch with many
>>> features.
>>
>> Yes, that is what I expected, but then I thought that the two
>> main changes code wise (autoconfig + directory structure) are
>> dependent on each other anyway. Merging  autoconfig without the
>> directory restructuring (or vice versa) wouldn't be much fun
>> since these modifications always touch overlapping areas. If you
>> want to add it as additional option, including it as a separate
>> yml in tasks/main.yml + separate torrc is also a possibility -
>> but probably not the nicest way (duplicate code, multiple
>> torrc's).
>>

> OK... I agree with you... but let's make this a seperate yml task
> file; your use is quite different than most of the entities
> currently using this ansible role. So let's add these as a new task
> file instead of modifying the existing task file.

That is fine with me.

regards,
Nusenu