[tor-relays] "Very Safe" Exit Policy

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Tue Feb 17 16:55:51 UTC 2015

On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 11:02:45AM -0500, Chris Patti wrote:
> I tried running an exit for a bit and it lasted a few weeks before
> some brainless wonder hijacked someone's Gmail with my exit, so I had
> to pull it down and go relay only.

Even worse (or maybe better), this sort of thing happens when a Tor user
connects to her Gmail, and then Google warns her that there was a Tor
connection and omg it's time to freak out, and then she freaks out.

I mean, maybe it happened the way you describe, but also maybe it didn't.
The large services like Gmail and Facebook have been struggling over
the past few years to find the right balance between "if there's a
connection from Tor, tell the user to freak out" and "actually for some
users connecting over Tor is totally the smarter move, and we should
encourage that".

--Roger