[tor-relays] Again Hibernations vs. limits, for the extreme case

Filippo Valsorda hi at filippo.io
Mon Feb 16 22:41:52 UTC 2015

I run a relay with decently high bandwidth, but limited monthly transit
(3TB out).
https://globe.torproject.org/#/relay/2EC042F4274CC8A54381C78E8D1BF322FA26A095

I gathered from previous discussions that a fast node that goes into
hibernation is more beneficial to the network than an artificially
throttled node. So I set a hibernation limit and no speed limit.

However, it looks like my node is fast enough to burn all the transit in
a couple of days when it has consensus, and (1 month - 2 days) is enough
time to get forgotten.

So I'm probably stuck in a cycle of

month 1. slowly ramp up speed and consensus;
go into hibernation for a few days;
lose the Guard flag (-> get more traffic);
month 2. burn all the transit in 2 days
go into hibernation for >25 days
GOTO month 1

Is it still the case that I shouldn't put throttling in, even if this
means that each other month I'll run at really low speed to ramp up
consensus? Or should I combine the Hibernate setting with a reasonable
limit of maybe 1 MB/s? Or maybe use daily limits in this case?

(Please CC me, I might not read in-list-only replies)

Thanks,
Filippo