[tor-relays] "Very Safe" Exit Policy

Speak Freely when2plus2is5 at riseup.net
Wed Feb 11 19:33:30 UTC 2015

Hey Stephen,

I'm a relatively new operator, and I run over a half dozen Reduced Exit
relays and a few middle relays.

Abuse complaints shouldn't be common coming from IRC - the main culprits
for complaints are DMCA and related for alleged IP (Intellectual
Property) theft. That would be your torrents and other downloading
services. The Reduced Exit Policy disables the ports traditionally used
by those services. (But its rude to download off Tor anyway.......)

But remember, a "Very Safe" exit policy is also a very restrictive
policy. You may unintentionally inhibit legal
activities/dissent/communication/free flow of knowledge.

Also, regarding whether it's a reduced exit, or full blown wide open: It
is most definitely strongly encouraged, and sensible to put up a tor
exit notice. IMHO get this setup before you open your ports. Define the
intention before you implement the decision. There are template notices
available that only need minor modifications.

As well, it's always good to contact your provider and let them know
that you're running a Tor relay. I contacted mine, let them know what I
was intending to do, how many I was planning on setting up, and I
specifically asked for them to contact me immediately over any concern.
They were more than kind, and understanding. This sets up a positive
environment for when they may in the future get some complaints - they
will already know it's not YOU per se, and that no malice was intended.
Even if your provider says they permit it, let them know anyway.

The whole matter of whether or not the companies that file the
complaints have a legal leg to stand on, depending on country, is well
beyond the scope of this email. But it is VERY important to understand
your rights and responsibilities regarding retransmission of data, as
well as that of your provider. In many cases, country dependant, your
provider cannot be held liable for retransmission, nor can you. I would
STRONGLY encourage you to read as much as possible about this as
possible before running an exit relay of any type.

Again, I'm relatively new so others could slam my comments as ignorant
or whatever... There is a ton of information available to you. If you're
concerned about running an exit relay, I would suggest getting confident
(and damn proud) of running a middle relay first, then when comfortable
move toward a Reduced Exit policy.

Kind regards,

Matt
Speak Freely