[tor-relays] Relay operators: help improve this hardening document?

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 05:03:38 UTC 2015

On Thu, Feb 5, 2015 at 11:15 PM, Nick Mathewson <nickm at freehaven.net> wrote:
> The idea is that Tor could ship with some basic recommendations, and
> links to places to find more advice?

If it's a question that can be answered by searching "how do i
secure and run my unix server", including anything other than
links to such answers would seem redundant. Sure, noobs
are out there, but it isn't efficient for application projects to
formally provide general computer training.

If it's a question of "how do i make tor/unix run happy together
on my server", ie: file descriptor shortages, that's a specific
known interaction with tor itself, and thus a different situation.

The only thing I'd ship with tor are links... to two community
maintained wiki pages, one for each class of question above.
>From there the community can write whatever faq help desired
independant of the release process and considering external
developments.

If there wasn't a community or wiki, then shipping any critical
runtime dependency notes on the second class of question
would be reasonable.