[tor-relays] Running obfs4proxy on Debian Stable

isis isis at torproject.org
Mon Feb 2 22:41:40 UTC 2015

Hello,

I requested that the obfs4proxy package in Debian jessie be ported to
wheezy-backports, [0] however, it seems this is extremely unlikely to happen
because it would mean backporting pretty much every Golang package in
existence.

I would be super stoked if we could make it as easy and seamless as possible
for the Bridge operators who are still running obfs2 (!!) to move to
supporting better, newer Pluggable Transports.  Currently recommended PTs to
run are: obfs3, obfs4, scramblesuit, and fteproxy.  When Tor Browser 4.5
becomes stable (probably in mid-April 2015), we'll want lots more obfs4
Bridges!  For the super adventurous sysadmins who'd like to try Yawning's
experimental new post-quantum PT, Basket [1] is one of the newest PTs.

We should probably come up with some easy instructions for operators of Tor
Bridge relays who are running Debian stable, such as adding an Apt pin to pull
in only the obfs4proxy package and its dependencies from Debian jessie and
keep everything else pinned to stable.  If someone has done this, or has
another simple solution, would you mind writing up some short how-to on the
steps you took, please?

[0]: http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-anonymity-tools/Week-of-Mon-20150202/001119.html
[1]: https://github.com/yawning/basket

--