[tor-relays] Tor and Freenode

Moritz Bartl moritz at torservers.net
Mon Feb 2 04:59:50 UTC 2015

On 01/24/2015 04:46 PM, Markus Hitter wrote:
> What else do I have to "learn"? Using Freenode and running an exit relay
> don't match, the technical details are secondary.

First of all, thanks for running a relay! This is very important indeed.

I suggest today's lesson is that the anonymity Tor provides can also be
very useful for (end-to-end) authenticated connections. Remember, Tor is
not always only about hiding your identity from the destination!

You might like https://dud.inf.tu-dresden.de/Anon_Terminology.shtml ,
and compare the terms to what Tor provides.

The history of Tor and Freenode is quite long and we currently can't
seem to change how they treat Tor users. Better ways could be
implemented, but someone would have to implemented it for their homebrew
grown IRCd.

In any case, if you share an IP for both ordinary traffic and exit
traffic, you will unfortunately run into many more problems over time.
Did you read
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TorExitGuidelines ? I
strongly advise against running exits from residential connections these
days, it's just too much of a hassle. Run a middle relay at home, and an
exit at an exit-friendly hosting company!

--
Moritz Bartl
https://www.torservers.net/