[tor-relays] Hibernating / Traffic limit and consequrnces for the network.

Sebastian Urbach sebastian at urbach.org
Sun Feb 1 19:02:53 UTC 2015

Dear list,

I would like to discuss hibernating and the consequences for the network.
As someone running unmetered GBit systems i like to point out that there is
a downside for the network when it comes to hibernating.

Usually a few days before the end of every month my systems are getting
slammed with traffic / directory requests. I thought about that and came up
with the theory that a lot of systems with traffic limitations are dropping
out a few days before the end of the month. This means more pressure on the
remaining systems in the network.

If the trend that more systems with limitations are participating increases
we are going to see a serious imbalance in the network at some point. I
know, poor unmetered systems ;-) I would like everybody to bear this in
mind when it comes to the decision "Adjust the Rate or just open the gates
and burn it as fast as possible".

I'm in the fortunate position to be able to tribute a nice amount of money
/ traffic, but even systems with unmetered traffic can just help until the
bandwidth / hardware limits are reached. It would be awesome if i could
conbince some of you to take a step back and take a moment to look at the
bigger picture. I would like to provide a good service for everyone, even
at the end of the month. That's getting harder the more systems are not
present at the end of the month.

At this point i like to quote G. K. Chesterton:

“We are all in the same boat in a stormy sea, and we owe each other a
terrible loyalty.”

Thank you for reading this and my best wishes for all of you.

--
Sincerely yours / Sincères salutations / M.f.G.

Sebastian Urbach

Religion is fundamentally opposed to
everything I hold in veneration - courage,
clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and,
above all, love of the truth.