[tor-relays] Problem starting tor after upgrading to ubuntu 15.10 / tor 0.2.7.6

James Moore hello at jmoore.me
Thu Dec 31 20:58:46 UTC 2015

Hello all, I've been running two exits for quote some time now and today I decided to update my OS and tor version but it didn't go too well. I was updating from ubuntu 15.04 / 0.2.6.10 to 15.10 / 0.2.7.6. I'm using the apt feed from

deb http://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org wily main

It appears that something about the AppArmor configuration is incorrect but I don't know enough about systemd/apparmor to properly diagnose it. Here are some log snippets:

http://pastebin.com/8jzEiz3T

It seems to come down to this

tor at default.service: Failed at step EXEC spawning /usr/bin/tor: Operation not permitted

I discovered that commenting out the Hardening section of /lib/systemd/system/tor at default.service get's it working again but I'd prefer not to run out-of-band configuration files. Can anyone shed light on this problem? I'm happy to provide more info.

James