[tor-relays] tor hidden services & SSL EV certificate

bernard ei8fdb at ei8fdb.org
Tue Dec 29 20:16:53 UTC 2015

On 29/12/2015 19:38, Jesse V wrote:
> A few hidden services have added an
> HTTPS cert but I think that's mostly for a publicity stunt than anything
> else.

(I am not commenting on the technical necessity of a cert.)

No, I think the point that was made at today's talk (and correct me if I
got it wrong) was that if I am the operator of, for example,
www.bigclearwebwebsite.com (who, by default of big known to the
Internet, I am not worried about the anonymity of my site or those who
operate it).

I want to create a www.bigclearwebwebsite.onion site (which of course
would be more like www.xhsjeflflajdfyeysksldpfiejcc.onion), I can do
this by getting a HTTPS cert for my .onion address.

The objective of it (from a users point of view) would be the tieing the
identity of the *clear web* site and the *.onion site* together to give
the user some trust that bigclearwebwebsite.onion is in fact the same as
the .com site.

(Replace bigclearwebwebsite. with DuckDuckGo, Facebook, etc)