[tor-relays] Sustained large spike in outbound traffic - what might be going on?

David Tomic david at tomic.com.au
Wed Dec 23 08:32:36 UTC 2015

Hello everyone,

I noticed something a little bit "odd" on one of my exit relays recently,
and I just wanted to ask whether anybody might be able to account for what
was actually happening, and whether it's likely to warrant any further
investigation?

TLDR; I noticed a fairly significant spike - in excess of 30MB/s (yes,
megabytes) - of outbound traffic compared to inbound.

http://s2.postimg.org/cvfzqvrsp/graph.png

It persisted steadily for just over an hour, until I noticed what was going
on and restarted Tor (not the whole server, only Tor), at which point my
traffic appeared to return to normal again.

I have this relay running a a dedicated machine, with multiple physical
NICs, and the ONLY thing which should be touching this NIC is my Tor
traffic.

Thoughts?