[tor-relays] Opt-In Trial: Fallback Directory Mirrors

Tim Wilson-Brown - teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 15:27:57 UTC 2015

> On 21 Dec 2015, at 01:55, s7r <s7r at sky-ip.org> wrote:
>
> Signed PGP part
> Hi,
>
> The estimated extra load looks good, it shouldn't be a problem.
>
> Are we entirely sure we want to hardcode a static weight for each
> fallback directory relay? I know we require it to be stable enough but
> sometimes the weight assigned to a relay is outside the control of the
> operator (more relays are added to the Tor network so consensus weight
> distribution changes, the relay gets DoS-ed and becomes slow at the
> next measurement).

If there are 100 fallback directories, and clients try several (see below), it doesn't matter if a few are down or busy or are being DoSed.

And it's the relative weights among the set of fallback directories that are used by clients to select a fallback directory: if more relays are added to the Tor network, the relative weights of the fallback directories stay the same. (And we pick up the new weights in the next release.)

> If all the relays eligible for being added as fallback directory
> relays are required to have a big enough weight, this means the
> estimated extra load shouldn't be a problem for neither of them. In
> this case how bad will it be if we do not hardcode a static weight and
> give equal chances to all fallback directory relays to be selected by
> new clients?

That's a possibility, it's what we currently do for authorities - clients select an authority at random, without considering their consensus weights. I like the simplicity of giving all the fallback directories the same weight, but I think it's wise to add any extra load in proportion to the existing load on the relay.

And I don't know whether equal weights is a viable option for fallback directories - it will depend on their consensus weights being similar enough. (The code currently uses weights, but we could set them all to the same weight if we wanted to.)

The December 2015 list of candidate fallback directories[0] has relative weights from 2.3% to 0.008%.

While we'd likely exclude some relays at the lower end, a relay that helps 1 in 1000 clients connect to the Tor network is still performing a useful role. And there's several tradeoffs we will consider when creating the list.

There's a tradeoff between including small relays, and the cost of increasing the size of the tor binary with each fallback in the list. There's also the risk that including small relays will lead to them not being able to cope with the extra load.

At the higher end, there's a tradeoff between weighting according to consensus weight, and letting a fallback directory see too many clients join the network. (Authorities see approximately 11% of clients that join the Tor network, so we would set the maximum fallback weight lower than that.)

The script we use to select fallback directories has parameters that allow us to control these sorts of tradeoffs, you can see many of them listed in a comment at the top of the file[0].

[0]: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/attachment/ticket/15775/fallback_dirs.inc

> As you said on irc, a client will try (maybe 3) fallback directories
> before giving up and going to the directory authorities.

Currently, a client will try 3 fallback directories before trying an authority, another fallback directory, another authority, then giving up for an hour. (This aims to provide ~99.9% bootstrap success within 20 seconds, without increasing the load on the authorities - even if a few authorities and many fallbacks are down. We can fine-tune it before release if we need to.)

Tim