[tor-relays] Webiron at it again...

Juuso Lapinlampi wub at partyvan.eu
Thu Dec 17 18:57:06 UTC 2015

Bruteforce attacks generate a lot of traffic, so Webiron gets an excuse
to blame the Tor network as a major source of abuse versus "regular"
traffic.

> "Tor: Please note as the abuse from Tor has gotten out of hand, we do
> not give free passes to abuse coming from Tor exits. See the leader
> board linked below for more details on the issue."

We received this too. Quite oddly though, after sending them 6 or 7
email acknowledgements that our Tor exit IP-address is a Tor exit (duh),
they have stopped sending us abuse complaints. Maybe we got a free pass
after all, although I didn't request one.

And yeah, Webiron's not to be taken very seriously.[1] I've lost their
credibility a long time ago when they exclaimed that Tor exit operators
would be held legally liable for the routed traffic - of course not.
It's called fear mongering.

-Wub

[1]: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-relays/2015-December/008259.html