[tor-relays] uptime "algorithm"

Green Dream greendream848 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 00:40:51 UTC 2015

I'm not sure why operators care so much about the HSDir flag. It naturally
comes and goes. Try not worry about it. :)

I've noticed that it can take 30+ minutes after a version upgrade before
the directory service on my nodes is fully responsive again [1]. I'm not
entirely sure what's happening in this timeframe, but it might be a good
reason not to leave the HSDir flag in place.

----

1) To monitor the health of my relays I periodically query the directory
service via a GET request to a URI. For example:

http://197.231.221.211:1080/tor/server/authority

(That's not my relay. I picked a top relay from Globe).

The monitoring software looks for a 200 response and validates the
fingerprint.

After the upgrade to 0.2.7.6 all my relays returned a 404 on that URI for
at least 30 minutes.