[tor-relays] uptime "algorithm"

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Mon Dec 14 23:08:56 UTC 2015

On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 08:14:12PM +0100, Logforme wrote:
> Can't see why, for example the Debian /etc/init.d/tor script, couldn't
> send tor a flag telling it that this is a restart, causing tor to
> save/restore its uptime information.

Yes, this would be possible.

> Circuits auto-reconnect if the
> downtime is short enough, right?

No, Tor has a bunch of session key stuff in memory that goes away when
it exits (which is a feature).

> Not losing my flags would at least make me upgrade tor more frequently.

We should somehow teach everybody that losing their flags for a few days
is totally fine and normal, and even something to be proud of because
you took a useful step at keeping your Tor relay safe and secure and
supporting the latest features. I recognize that complexifies the
gamification. :)

--Roger