[tor-relays] Unused Tor exit nodes capacity

nusenu nusenu at openmailbox.org
Sun Dec 13 22:44:22 UTC 2015

> Even on the same machine the throughput between servers varies a lot
> with out any visible reason

I had a short look at

B060482C784788B8A564DECD904E14CB305C8B38 (your 'slowest') vs
DC41244B158D1420C98C66F7B5E569C09DCE98FE ('fastest') running on the same IP.

The relay graphs look like B060 was down for a long period of time
between October until a week ago. DC41 was not.

sample lookup
https://exonerator.torproject.org/?ip=176.10.104.241&timestamp=2015-10-10

> Moritz hinted it might have to do with the way the tor "bandwidth
> scanners" measure the ability of a server to handle traffic.
>
> Can you explain me / point me to documentation where this process is
> described

bw scanner spec can be found here:

https://gitweb.torproject.org/torflow.git/tree/NetworkScanners/BwAuthority/README.spec.txt

on how their vote is processes for the consensus:

https://gitweb.torproject.org/torspec.git/tree/dir-spec.txt#n1890
https://gitweb.torproject.org/torspec.git/tree/dir-spec.txt#n2149

You can download votes from collector to find out how bwauths measured
your relays:

https://collector.torproject.org/archive/relay-descriptors/votes/