[tor-relays] Crash and obfs error

Yawning Angel yawning at schwanenlied.me
Thu Dec 10 04:52:35 UTC 2015

On Thu, 10 Dec 2015 01:26:41 +0000
Geoff Down <geoffdown at fastmail.net> wrote:

[snip[
> Also, on restarting Tor with Obfsproxy already running, I got
> Dec 09 14:14:43.000 [warn] Server managed proxy encountered a method
> error. (obfs3 Could not set up listener (0.0.0.0:xx) for 'obfs3'
> (Address already in use).)
> Dec 09 14:14:43.000 [warn] Managed proxy at '/usr/bin/obfsproxy'
> failed the configuration protocol and will be destroyed.
>  does this mean that Tor is running without obfsproxy now, and I need
> to stop both and restart?

Yes.  For what it's worth, newer versions of tor (0.2.7.x) has code to
prevent this from happening on Linux systems by using prctl to force
the kernel into cleaning up children with SIGTERM.

obfs4proxy also has the same prctl() trickery and additional code for
non-Linux systems so it can self-terminate on parent exit.

> It's quite annoying that Tor doesn't remember its auto-picked port,
> and I have to change the port-forwarding rule every time.

This should get persisted in the state file.

Regards,

--
Yawning Angel