[tor-relays] Custom bandwith for different time ranges

Roman Mamedov rm at romanrm.net
Mon Dec 7 21:23:21 UTC 2015

On Mon, 7 Dec 2015 21:42:11 +0100
"tor-relay at b4ckbone.de" <tor-relay at b4ckbone.de> wrote:

> Hi!
> > Hi All
> > Is it possible to schedule the time when bandwith will looks as follow:
> >
> > 8:00 - 18:00 - Tor relay bandwith 250kb/s
> >
> > 18:00 - 8:00 - Tor relay bandwith 10 000kb/s
> >

> > How may I schedule this in tor relay ? Is it possible to limit traffic
> > on the client or I need to do it on my firewall ?
>
> I do see 3 viable ways, just run the relay from 18 to 8 a clock and stop
> it (via cron?) from 8 to 18.
> Or create 2 different tor configurations one limiting the bandwith to
> 250 kb/s and the other one to 10000 kb/s and reload tor with the
> according configuration (via cron)
> last but not least you could setup some fancy traffic shaping like in
> https://svn.torproject.org/svn/tor/tags/tor-0_2_0_20_rc/contrib/linux-tor-prio.sh
> where you limit the bandwith with tc and not tor itself.

Yeah but any of these are very likely to wreck your consensus weight
situation, and as a result you'll be hard pressed to use the full potential of
the 10000 KB/sec cap. The first option will also "ensure" you'll never get the
Stable flag.

Sure if "that's what you have to work with" then there's no any better options
remaining, and of these listed personally I'd suggest the reloading configs
one.

--
With respect,
Roman