[tor-relays] VPS Connection Refused

Tim Wilson-Brown - teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 03:04:38 UTC 2015

> On 3 Dec 2015, at 09:44, Kurt Besig <kbesig at socal.rr.com> wrote:
>
> After setting up Tor and tor-arm on the VPS I'm not able to connect
> with this error: unable to reconnect (connection refused. Is the
> ControlPort Enabled?)
> I've edited ~/home/.arm/torrc and /etc/tor/torrc un-commenting the
> ControlPort 9052 and all the other typical ports, etc..

I don't have enough information to be sure what's going on:

What control port is tor actually connected to? (Try "lsof -p <PID>" or "netstat")

Can "telnet" or "nc" connect to the port?

Does your VPS provider block connections from localhost to localhost by default?
(This is an unusual config, that may be why the advice you received didn't help.)

What else have your tried?

> Obviously I'm
> not able to forward or enable ports on the VPS, so do I need to ask
> the admin to make some changes?

Possibly. Some VPSs let you modify the firewall settings yourself.

Tim

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
PGP 968F094B

teor at blah dot im
OTR CAD08081 9755866D 89E2A06F E3558B7F B5A9D14F