[tor-relays] Calling for more Exit Relays

s7r s7r at sky-ip.org
Fri Aug 21 00:23:30 UTC 2015

Hello,

In the last 48 hours we went under the 'psychological' threshold of
1000 Exit Relays in the consensus.
Right now, Thu Aug 20 23:57:02 UTC 2015, we have:

6234 Running relays
954 Exit relays

I think we can improve this balance. Let's do it!

This is a call for everyone: Please run Exit relays, or if you are
running a middle relay turn it into an Exit relay!

I have been running high capacity Exit relays for a very long time,
and I tell you it's not a headache and it will not attract any
problems if you just take care of the abuse complaints.

During this very long time, 98% of the abuse complaints were automated
messages which can safely be ignored (fail2ban notifications,
portscans, web CMS plugins sending reports about http fetches, etc.)
and the rest were from very nice people who didn't know what Tor is
and how it works, but after explaining to them they actually liked the
idea - gives you a really nice feeling. Only 2 times I have received
email from law enforcement agents (which are just normal people like
us, doing a hard job) - a complete and clear explanation was all that
it took for them to fully understand and eliminate any doubt that the
server in question is somehow interesting to them.

Tor is _legal_ in all sane countries! We as a community are here and I
give you my word that me and others will personally assist, in the
measure and ways we can, whoever runs into troubles because of running
an exit, which is highly unlikely.

It is recommended to reject in your policy port 25 (it's not needed
and it will blacklist you for spam messages if you leave it open).
Allow all other ports, or use the reduced exit policy from
torproject.org if you want to allow only what is highly necessary.

Don't think any longer about it ;)
- - Email me directly any time if you need technical support in setting
things up, hardening the server or need a customized setup adapted to
certain conditions.

- - Email me directly any time if you have the funds needed to run a Tor
exit relay but don't know how to set it up, where to get it from or
don't want to rent and run it under your real name.

- - Email me directly any time if you need instructions about how to
deal with abuse complaints and short templates for replies.

For live chat come on IRC, OFTC network, #tor channel.