[tor-relays] do not run Tor client and OR relay together!

ncl at cock.li ncl at cock.li
Sun Aug 16 22:17:24 UTC 2015

Running a relay and hidden service should also should be considered, as
deanonymizing an HS by correlation to another relay seems more dangerous
than unmasking a client+relay.

As far as I know, tor only does anything about the former if accounting
is also enabled, which will give the following warning in its log:

Using accounting with a hidden service and an ORPort is risky: your
hidden service(s) and your public address will all turn off at the same
time, which may alert observers that they are being run by the same party.

Perhaps tor should detect any potentially conflicting setups, print an
error and refuse to run? (Maybe have an override option?) It seems like
something to at least give warnings on.

On having separate packages, that could be a bit of a convenience, but
would probably be more of a thing to ask various distro package maintainers.

starlight.2015q3 at binnacle.cx: