[tor-relays] do not run Tor client and OR relay together!

starlight.2015q3 at binnacle.cx starlight.2015q3 at binnacle.cx
Sun Aug 16 21:14:42 UTC 2015

I think separate packages are good idea
--is about making it easier for regular
users to configure Tor with less pain.

'openssh' provides a good example,
as it come with three component
packages:

openssh (core files)
openssh-client
openssh-server

so one would have

tor-core
tor-client
tor-server

where the client and server packages
would configure separate run-time directories,
'torrc's and boot-system start/stop scripts
for the respective instances.  The 'tor'
binary would appear in the tor-core component.

I am confident of the analysis regarding
how easy it is to isolate client circuit
establishment cells from other relay traffic.
Is rather obvious--just look at the debug
trace 'channel_write_packed_cell' lines
associated with circuit establishment
and how they stand-out temporally
from the relay channel_write_packed_cell()
lines.  Unfortunately the log-to-file
feature does not include fractional
seconds, but it's glaring even with
whole-second resolution.