[tor-relays] Multicore, bandwidth, relays, capacity, location

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 07:03:10 UTC 2015

On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 9:16 AM, Thomas White <thomaswhite at riseup.net> wrote:
> For relays, being able to make more use of available bandwidth would
> vastly increase the network speed, furthermore make home clients see
> an improvement in their daily Tor usage. It also benefits hidden
> service people as they can then run their Tor processes on more than
> one core and thus handle higher volumes of traffic.

Tor appears maybe operating at 50% of bandwidth capacity...
https://metrics.torproject.org/bandwidth-flags.html
https://metrics.torproject.org/bandwidth.html
https://metrics.torproject.org/bwhist-flags.html

If that's true, more bandwidth won't have any end user affect.
So for the moment it might be worthwhile to study
reducing node based latency by ensuring relay CPU's
have similar free capacity available for circuit negotiation,
interrupt processing, and other tor functions.

And to consider not dropping more bandwidth weight into
already saturated jurisdictions, but dropping some into the
Southern Arc and Eastern Zones in an effort to avoid Orion's Belt...
https://metrics.torproject.org/uncharted-data-flow.html

[Yes I broke the thread because "no subject" and gmail
are even lamer than I].