[tor-relays] Guard flag flapping

torrry at Safe-mail.net torrry at Safe-mail.net
Sun Aug 9 22:12:05 UTC 2015

> So we now have the bandwidth, IP, and dirport of the fastest exits. With this list in hand, I just needed to form a proper URL, wget each one, and grep out the transfer speed:
>
> http://37.130.227.133:80/tor/server/all 1.17 MB/s
> http://176.126.252.11:443/tor/server/all 4.54 MB/s
> http://176.126.252.12:21/tor/server/all 666 KB/s
> http://77.247.181.164:80/tor/server/all 111 KB/s
> http://77.247.181.166:80/tor/server/all 330 KB/s
> http://195.154.56.44:80/tor/server/all 3.65 MB/s
> http://77.109.141.138:80/tor/server/all 2.20 MB/s
> http://96.44.189.100:80/tor/server/all 13.4 MB/s
> http://197.231.221.211:1080/tor/server/all 347 KB/s
> http://89.234.157.254:80/tor/server/all 295 KB/s
>
> I'm not seeing anything immediately, although I need to run it on a larger set. There's no smoking gun so far though. Some of the speeds are a bit slow, but nothing low enough to explain the extremely low measured bandwidth these relays are getting.

The current BW auth measurement results are around 1.0MBit/s for greendream848. I had a couple of measurements in the 300-500KBit/s range. So, if the auths heavily weight towards low individual measurements, things might make sense.

Maybe one of the BW auth guys can comment on how the total measurement result is cooked up!?