[tor-relays] I.P. being Blocked?

Roman Mamedov rm at romanrm.net
Sun Aug 9 17:19:25 UTC 2015

On Sun, 9 Aug 2015 13:02:14 -0400
Zack Weinberg <zackw at cmu.edu> wrote:

> several "this IP is a source of spam" blacklists indiscriminately list _all_
> Tor relays, whether or not they are exit nodes.

Now this is just unnecessarily FUDish, at http://bgp.he.net/ one can check
their IPs against 49 RBLs, I checked several of my long-running relays' IPs,
and they are on none of the 49.

The blocking issue however has came up in the past, back then it was related
to the Akamai CDN blocking all relays, as a result people running them couldn't
access e.g. www.healthcare.gov from the same IP. Right now healthcare.gov
still uses Akamai, but is accessible just fine from relays, so this has been
solved.

As for the particular hostnames specified in the original post, I believe they
might have some DNS-related issue at the moment. Here's what I get from an IP
which has never run a Tor relay:

=====
$ host www.CA.DMV.gov
Host www.CA.DMV.gov not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

$ host www.CA.SDI.gov
Host www.CA.SDI.gov not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

$ host www.CA.DMV.gov 4.2.2.3
Using domain server:
Name: 4.2.2.3
Address: 4.2.2.3#53
Aliases:

www.CA.DMV.gov has address 198.105.244.11
www.CA.DMV.gov has address 198.105.254.11
Host www.CA.DMV.gov not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

$ host www.CA.SDI.gov 4.2.2.3
Using domain server:
Name: 4.2.2.3
Address: 4.2.2.3#53
Aliases:

www.CA.SDI.gov has address 198.105.244.11
www.CA.SDI.gov has address 198.105.254.11
Host www.CA.SDI.gov not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
=====

(without "www" they are NXDOMAIN no matter what).

- --
With respect,
Roman