[tor-relays] clarification on what Utah State University exit relays store ("360 gigs of log files")

Tim Sammut tim at teamsammut.com
Sun Aug 9 12:25:22 UTC 2015

Hi.

On 08/09/2015 07:44 AM, Sharif Olorin wrote:
>> > I would expect most US universities to be logging netflow in the very
>> > least. Even if the Tor operator isn't keeping logs, it seems safe to assume
>> > the network operator is.
>
> I'd be surprised if it was different for non-US universities - I'd
> expect this to be the case for every university with its own AS, and
> probably most without. It's not specific to universities either; it
> would be a rare ISP that doesn't retain netflow for traffic accounting
> purposes.

Perhaps we're entering a time when universities need to be producing
transparency reports...

It also seems that since there is significant incentive to run exits in
order to gain "traffic visibility," we need some sort of competing
incentive. I don't know what that is, however. Or perhaps "extensive
logging at exits" need to be part of a more honest overview of Tor.

hope everyone is well
tim

Tim Sammut ~ @t1msammut ~ tim at teamsammut.com
Ford-Mozilla Fellow at Amnesty International