[tor-relays] Guard flag flapping

torrry at Safe-mail.net torrry at Safe-mail.net
Sat Aug 8 08:41:47 UTC 2015

-------- Original Message --------
From: Green Dream <greendream848 at gmail.com>
Apparently from: tor-relays-bounces at lists.torproject.org
To: tor-relays at lists.torproject.org
Subject: Re: [tor-relays] Guard flag flapping
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2015 21:49:16 -0700

> I've learned from this thread that the Guard flag flapping is a direct result of the low measured bandwidth. I still have no idea why the measured bandwidth is so (terribly, comically) low. The fact that it's so wrong is somewhat telling. Actual performance on the network is like 1000 times better than what the measured bandwidth says! Something feels very broken here.

I ran some tests against your node. While performance is generally very good, it has very low performance connecting to some exit nodes. The problem is likely that your ISP is routing some traffic via an overloaded peering point. Some ISPs have been know to do that on purpose, e.g. to make connections to Netflix or Youtube extremely slow while claiming not to do throttling.

The bandwidth auths probably downrate the measurement results of your server severely because of those slow connections.