[tor-relays] clarification on what Utah State University exit relays store ("360 gigs of log files")

nusenu nusenu at openmailbox.org
Sat Aug 8 06:03:38 UTC 2015

Hi Jesse,

I found your email address in exit relay descriptors run at USU [1].

There has been an interesting comment on a recent boingboing post [2]
that implies that USU exit relays store significant amount of logs
without going into much detail:

> dweller_below August 5, 2015
>
> A very similar thing happened to USU. We received a summons from
> Homeland/ICE to produce 3 months of records (plus identifying
> info) for an IP that was one of our TOR exit nodes.
>
> I eventually managed to contact the Special Agent in charge of the
> investigation. He turned out to be a reasonable person. I
> explained that the requested info was an extremely active TOR exit
> node. I said that we had extracted and filtered the requested data,
> it was 90 4 gig files (for a total of 360 gigs of log files) or
> about 3.2 billion log entries.
[...]

If you can confirm that the comment is authentic I'd be interested
what kind of tor related data you are logging at your exit relays and why.

thanks,
nusenu

[1] https://atlas.torproject.org/#search/contact:C20BEC80
[2] http://boingboing.net/2015/08/04/what-happened-when-the-fbi-sub.html