[tor-relays] BWauth no-consensus state in effect

s7r s7r at sky-ip.org
Tue Aug 4 22:50:28 UTC 2015

Hi,

That is correct Mike Perry - (at least in my case) Tor is much slower
(any page takes more time to load) than when bandwidth authorities
were assigning weights. This happens on 2 different client computers
and one live Tails (obviously each uses a different Guard). I wouldn't
say it is now slow enough that someone wouldn't be using it, but it is
indeed slower than it was before (pre-self advertised weights).

I don't think it's a good idea to get back to self advertised weights.

On 8/5/2015 1:17 AM, Mike Perry wrote:
> Roger Dingledine:
>> On Thu, Jul 30, 2015 at 08:53:33PM +0200, nusenu wrote:
>>> Has this fallback happened before (=some experience on the
>>> potential impact available) or is this outage happening for the
>>> first time since the bwauths are in place?
>>
>> Indeed, it happened a few times back in 2010-2011 when we were
>> first rolling out the bwauths:
>> https://metrics.torproject.org/torperf.html?graph=torperf&start=2009-05-06&end=2015-08-04&source=all&filesize=50kb

but it's been mighty stable since then.