[tor-relays] Effectively donating bandwidth

Curtis Gagliardi curtis at curtis.io
Thu Apr 30 00:44:38 UTC 2015

I'm running a relay with the extra bandwidth on my VPS, but I'm unsure
if it's optimally configured.

I have 2.5TB of bandwidth I want to use every month.  Given that, how do
I configure my relay in the most helpful way?

The docs mention dividing my bandwidth by 30 and setting an accounting
max of 1 day.   It also suggests "You might also consider rate limiting
to spread your usefulness over more of the day".  What not use an
accouting period of a month and spread it out over the full month?
Spreading it out feels like the right thing to do, but is it actually
the most helpful?  Maybe burning my bandwidth is faster bursts is more
helpful.

If spreading it over the month using a low bandwidth rate and a monthly
accounting period is ideal, is there a better way to configure it than
busting out a calculator and coverting TB/month to KB/s?

How should I determine my BandwidthBurstRate?  I understand what it is,
but should it be defined in relation to my bandwidth rate?

Thanks in advance,
Curtis Gagliardi