[tor-relays] running multiple bridges on one machine?

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 12:50:49 UTC 2015

> On 29 Apr 2015, at 22:00 , tor-relays-request at lists.torproject.org wrote:
>
> Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2015 17:45:44 +0200
> From: yl <tor at yl.ms>
>
> Am 28.04.2015 um 03:30 schrieb syndikal:
>> let's begin: is it possible to run 5 bridges on one low-end VPS? each
>> bridge would be hosted on a different IP address from five different /24
>> IP blocks, so that's not an issue. would i have to use multiple Tor
>> processes, and would 5 processes be too much for a 2-core VPS with
>> 256mb memory?
>>
>> also, how much bandwidth does a bridge normally burn through per month?
>> on said VPS, the economical choice is to provide 200gb bandwidth per
>> month. if that is not sufficient, the offer isn't financially feasible.
>
> I run a tor relay on some Atom processor, the bottleneck is the missing
> AES-NI I think, however on 100MBit/s it only makes 35MBit/s with one CPU
> core being loaded 100% and the other 3 at ~10%. My relay makes a few
> TB/month like that, so I guess it is still good to keep it running.

yl, have you tried running a second tor instance on another pair of ports? (onion / directory)

The second instance would be able to use another of the processors on your multiprocessor machine. (Unfortunately, tor multithreading only offloads some of the work.)

There is currently a limit of two instances per IP address, but if you have 2 IP addresses, you could potentially run 4 instances, one instance per processor.

teor

teor2345 at gmail dot com
pgp 0xABFED1AC
https://gist.github.com/teor2345/d033b8ce0a99adbc89c5

teor at blah dot im
OTR D5BE4EC2 255D7585 F3874930 DB130265 7C9EBBC7