[tor-relays] Subpoena received

Paul Syverson paul.syverson at nrl.navy.mil
Thu Apr 23 12:02:00 UTC 2015

On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 11:47:17AM +0200, renke at mobtm.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > The counterpart we need to contribute is a
> > letter by our lawyer and favorably a letter from EFF or some other
> > bigger organization guaranteeing Tor is what it is and we as client do
> > not try to fool them.
>
> as the US government sponsored (parts of) the Tor development - what
> about giving them US military research papers about the Tor network?

> http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a465464.pdf is one of them,
> co-authored by a Navy researcher and performed by the Naval Research
> Laboratory.

Not merely sponsored: I created Tor along with Roger and Nick, and I
invented the underlying onion routing technology years earlier with
David Goldschlag and Mike Reed. All of this was done under NRL
projects with funding we received from various sponsors. I have no
idea what is legally relevant for this, but it might also be useful to
point them at ExoneraTor https://exonerator.torproject.org/
which was designed after interactions with law enforcement indicated
that such a tool would be useful for them.

aloha,
Paul