[tor-relays] Subpoena received

Brian Kroll brian at fiberoverethernet.com
Thu Apr 23 08:29:45 UTC 2015

Zack Weinberg:
> On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 10:32 AM, Tyler Durden <virii at enn.lu>
> wrote:
>> I just wanted to let you know that Washington sent us a subpoena
>> regarding one of our exit nodes in Romania
>
> Just FYI, "Washington" doesn't appear to have anything to do with
> this.  The subpoena is on the letterhead of an office of Cook
> County, Illinois, which is the locality containing the city of
> Chicago.  Per
> http://www.cookcountyil.gov/office-of-the-independent-inspector-general/

this office investigates misconduct by county officials.

> This matters because, first, this is probably a tiny little outfit
> with little or no clue about either the Internet or international
> law.

As a resident of Cook Country I can safely say it's not a small
locality, but I'm sure their knowledge about international law is
quite low.

> They *should have* hired an international lawyer when they saw
> they'd need to talk to someone operating out of Romania and/or
> Luxembourg, but it doesn't surprise me in the slightest that they
> didn't.

> And they've probably never even heard of Tor before.

I know the Chicago Police claim they don't know what Tor is.

http://www.muckrock.com/foi/chicago-169/chicago-police-use-of-tor-15392/

> Second, the incident which triggered the investigation, whatever it
> is, is probably quite minor.  (This is backed up by their asking
> for one IP address active at a single point in time.)  It would
> have been booted up to the state or federal level if it were any
> kind of serious.  For both those reasons, I would rate the odds of
> them actually bothering to jump through all the necessary legal
> hoops to get a court order binding on a foreign national as slim to
> none.

ATB
//Brian