[tor-relays] Quantum Insert detection for everyone

David Stainton dstainton415 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 22:34:19 UTC 2015

Yes and no. HTTPS/Onion services prevents successful TCP injection
attacks when the attacker doesn't know the key material... therefore
to make this claim about HTTPS in general seems rather sketchy given
that many CA's have been pwn'ed (and subpoena'ed?) in the past.

TCP injection attacks are not the same as man-in-the-middle attacks...
but rather are categorized as man-on-the-side. The difference is
important because MoS is *much* cheaper for these various (not just
NSA) entities to execute. MoS means you do not have to pwn a route
endpoint at the site of your TCP injections... you can inject from
almost anywhere as long as you can win the race.

I will discuss this point in my write up... and I will write a section
specifically for Tor exit relay operators who are interested in using
HoneyBadger.