[tor-relays] simple relay setup

Julien ROBIN julien.robin28 at free.fr
Sat Apr 18 13:46:44 UTC 2015

Hi !

You can try a mix between this (ultra simple), from https://www.torproject.org/docs/debian.html.en :

You need to add the following entry in /etc/apt/sources.list or a new file in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/:

    deb http://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org wheezy main
    deb-src http://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org wheezy main

gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv 886DDD89
gpg --export A3C4F0F979CAA22CDBA8F512EE8CBC9E886DDD89 | apt-key add -

apt-get update
apt-get install tor deb.torproject.org-keyring

This will make your "apt-get" using the last table version of Tor from the Tor Project servers, with signatures check making sure that no one "car jacked" the server before you download from it ;)

You will have to find a way to make your "apt-get update" and "apt-get -y upgrade" automatic, may be "reboot" too (when kernel have been updated for example, but here I cannot say precisely  how to know if you have to reboot !)

And a second link, that can give you a lot of tips also

http://www.torservers.net/wiki/setup/server

Including disabling password authentification, but if you want to completely lock your server, a good way could be to make "/etc/init.d/ssh" unable to run (you delete the "x" permission for example)

After the reboot, you will not be able to connect anymore using SSH on your server, and you will have to use tools from your ISP if you want to drive your server again !

Personnaly, I always do a minimalist installation in order to have nothing else than OpenSSH listening (and Tor, of course !). Because if others things that I don't know (rpc bind port 111 etc) are listening I'm not sure that I have everything into control.