[tor-relays] Relay from home

Seth list at sysfu.com
Wed Apr 8 16:13:53 UTC 2015

On Wed, 08 Apr 2015 03:57:20 -0700, Jannis Wiese <mail at janniswiese.com>
wrote:

> maybe this is a dumb question, but as I couldn’t find any real advise
> anywhere on the net: Does it make sense to start operating a non-exit
> relay from home for a longer term? I’m thinking about at least getting a
> T-Shirt (the more uptime, the better).
> However, my concerns are the daily disconnect and the dynamic IP.
>
> What do you think? Any first-hand tips are of course appreciated.

Been running a relay at home for about 3-4 months now and like other
poster barely notice the traffic. IIRC recommended upstream bandwidth is
2Mpbs or greater, if you run a relay on a connection without enough
bandwidth (in either direction) it's not really helping the network,
(Roger sez!). Sorry don't have a reference link handy for this factoid.
Also make sure the connection is stable.

Another reason I think it's a good idea to run a relay 24/7 is that it
provides cover traffic. It becomes more difficult for an observer to
determine when you yourself are using the Tor network, helping to thwart
time of usage correlation attacks.

Just _make sure_ that your exit policy is set to reject all, the default
torrc config makes it an exit node with no outbound restrictions last time
I checked.