[tor-relays] Oniontip

Mike Perry mikeperry at torproject.org
Mon Sep 29 22:09:01 UTC 2014

Donncha O'Cearbhaill:
> Thanks everyone for all the feedback. I'm delighted to see OnionTip is
> being used and that relay operators are getting some (usually token)
> appreciation.
>
> Mike, I've taken on board all the feedback you gave to this list on 2nd
> September. I've just pushed some changes. There is now a listing of all
> previous transactions sent from OnionTip, their size and the number or
> relays they have selected to pay.[1]
>
> The number of selected relays gives a rough indication of how many
> people are just paying the default (to all the relays) or are setting
> their own criteria.
>
> I've also published a Python script to validate the transactions
> completely from the blockchain based on the seed I use to generate
> addresses [2].
>
> I'm open to all suggests for a better distribution strategy. At the
> moment I definitely think the incentive is somewhat wrong when someone
> gets a much larger share by running a middle relay in a cheap bandwidth
> location than someone running a smaller exit in a geographical diversity
> location.
>
> As most people seem to use the defaults, for a start I'm going to add an
> option so that Exits receive a premium on their bandwidth share by
> default (maybe 1.5-2x).
>
> If there are any particular questions anyone has about the data or
> donations so far, I'm happy to pull the data from the DB and try to
> answer them. For one, I'm going to try find out how many relays had
> bitcoin address listed in their first day or two. Maybe it can give an
> indication how many new relay operators are being pulled in because of
> OnionTip.
>
> Thanks again for all the feedback so far. I look forward to seeing what
> we can do to improve OnionTip, and to continue supporting the growth of
> the Tor network.
>
> Regards,
> Donncha
>
> [1] https://oniontip.com/transactions
> [2]
> https://github.com/DonnchaC/oniontip/blob/master/scripts/payment-check.py

Thank you for publishing these scripts!

I think the most important thing right now is for us to be able to
easily tell what the system is doing, and I think you have done that.

As for what the default *should* be, I think we may want to think about
that for a bit depending on what we think we want to encourage in the
network. If we get an idea as to if Exits are actually more expensive to
run than non-Exits, we can use that to guide these bonuses.

Thanks a lot for OnionTip! It's now got my vote for inclusion on the Tor
donations page!