[tor-relays] Oniontip

Thomas White thomaswhite at riseup.net
Sun Sep 28 14:14:46 UTC 2014

Well I'm happy to see OnionTip, I think it's certainly better than the
reimbursement approach which uses far too much paperwork and time etc.
Having said this we need to increase adoption before people like
myself step into the frame because the moment I bring in my exit
cluster is the moment it will sap more than 50% of all donations and
even more for exit donations. For now I am refraining from joining. My
own finances can support my current cluster for several years assuming
no further income or support and I appreciate this isn't the case with
everyone, so it is best the donations went to them first.

If we wanted to support diversity, we could place some multipliers
based on bandwidth probability? So for example, if the country of the
relay is one of the top 10 countries it reduces the share of donation
by 40%, places 11-20 reduced by 20% and then 21-30 receives 20% boost
and 31+ receive 40% boost? If you've been following the topic in
tor-dev about scaling Tor, diversity is very important and I feel
oniontip may go some way to assisting that by providing incentives to
diversify.

- -T

On 28/09/2014 15:03, Donncha O'Cearbhaill wrote:
> [...]
>> They basically have to click around on the individual relay
>> recipient keys to make sure everything looks legit.
>>
>> This makes me nervous in terms of endorsement. I can easily see
>> hundreds of users getting swindled before one of them suddenly
>> realizes that there is an extra bitcoin address in their
>> transactions that is not in the original relay list they
>> selected, or that the actual bitcoin distribution was slightly
>> different than what they selected. If all users could inspect all
>> donations easily, this type of compromise would be found
>> quicker.
>>
>> Ideally, it would be possible to verify all of these questions
>> (and many more) with only the blockchain. For instance, a comment
>> in the bitcoin transaction could indicate the OnionTip options
>> selected, and a single page on the website could allow us to view
>> all donations to the system.
>>

>> Beyond this, I think there are actually interesting sociological
>> questions we could answer with easy access to the OnionTip
>> donation data and option selection. I'm very curious how donors
>> are choosing to distribute their Bitcoin to the relays.
>>
>> For instance:
>>
>> 1. Is OnionTip encouraging the type of network diversity we want?
>> Do we want to suggest changes to the default donation mode to
>> encourage better diversity?
>>
>> 2. UI is still confusing to me. Is this UI causing people to
>> prefer a certain type of donation over others, where they
>> probably shouldn't?
>>
>> a. Is anyone actually using the Guard or Exit filters? If not,
>> this means my super-cheap and unreliable FDC middle node will
>> probably get me more OnionTip donations than either a more stable
>> Guard node, or a more hassle-prone Exit node. This seems like an
>> undesirable way to incentivize relay operation. Is it happening?
>> Or are most people selecting Guard+Exit?
>>
>> b. Are people taking advantage of the country selection dialog?
>> Are they doing it in a way that is favoring underrepresented
>> countries? Or are people just choosing countries based on the
>> next World Cup match, the current Olympic gold medal count
>> leader, or some other crazy notion that seems to make little
>> sense to network diversity?
>>
>> 3. What are big donors doing? Do they always select the default
>> choice?
>>
>> a. If so, we should think waaay harder about what this choice
>> is.
>>
>> b. If not, what do they want? Do they like specific or strange
>> countries? Do they like countries with the fewest relays? With
>> the lowest current bandwidth? With the best laws? Do we agree
>> with their choices, and want to make it easier for other donors
>> to make them too? Or should we be concerned, and try to encourage
>> other behavior?
>>
>> c. Maybe only big donors get scammed with extra BTC destination
>> addresses or a different transaction entirely? How can I see if
>> other recent big donors have been scammed?

Blockchain.info web page showing donations received to my

My concern (which has been highlighted before by Mike Perry) is