[tor-relays] Oniontip

Donncha O'Cearbhaill donncha at donncha.is
Sun Sep 28 14:03:39 UTC 2014

Thanks everyone for all the feedback. I'm delighted to see OnionTip is
being used and that relay operators are getting some (usually token)
appreciation.

Mike, I've taken on board all the feedback you gave to this list on 2nd
September. I've just pushed some changes. There is now a listing of all
previous transactions sent from OnionTip, their size and the number or
relays they have selected to pay.[1]

The number of selected relays gives a rough indication of how many
people are just paying the default (to all the relays) or are setting
their own criteria.

I've also published a Python script to validate the transactions
completely from the blockchain based on the seed I use to generate
addresses [2].

I'm open to all suggests for a better distribution strategy. At the
moment I definitely think the incentive is somewhat wrong when someone
gets a much larger share by running a middle relay in a cheap bandwidth
location than someone running a smaller exit in a geographical diversity
location.

As most people seem to use the defaults, for a start I'm going to add an
option so that Exits receive a premium on their bandwidth share by
default (maybe 1.5-2x).

If there are any particular questions anyone has about the data or
donations so far, I'm happy to pull the data from the DB and try to
answer them. For one, I'm going to try find out how many relays had
bitcoin address listed in their first day or two. Maybe it can give an
indication how many new relay operators are being pulled in because of
OnionTip.

Thanks again for all the feedback so far. I look forward to seeing what
we can do to improve OnionTip, and to continue supporting the growth of
the Tor network.

Regards,
Donncha

[1] https://oniontip.com/transactions