[tor-relays] Help collect hidden service usage stats?

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Wed Sep 24 17:52:31 UTC 2014

Hi folks,

If you are comfortable compiling Tor from git, and you want to help
investigate what fraction of Tor network load comes from hidden service
use, I have a shiny new git branch called hs-stats that will collect
per-thirty-minute statistics about number of circuits and number of cells
your relay sees that have to do with exiting, with hidden services, with
circuits where you're not the final hop, and a fourth none-of-the-above
category.

It skips all circuits and cells that come from non-relays, which should
help make sure the stats aren't useful for hurting anonymity.

It doesn't automatically send the output anywhere -- it just writes it
to its notice-level log for now. So you'll need to either send me the
log lines, or add them to the trac ticket like I did here:
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/13192#comment:2

Preliminary results are that load from hidden services is actually
a tiny fraction of overall load.

A bonus use from these statistics would be to learn what fraction of
load comes from exit connections vs middle connections, for relays with
various consensus flags.

And of course, it's possible there are bugs in how I'm doing the
counting. I'll keep investigating to make sure I'm doing it right.

Thanks!
--Roger