[tor-relays] Good hosting location for exit relay

Alexandros irregulator at riseup.net
Wed Sep 24 13:24:37 UTC 2014

On 09/24/2014 01:49 PM, DerTor Steher wrote:
> Hey,
> for a few days now I'm looking for an appropriate ISP for my new exit relay.
> There are a few problem I am facing now:
> 1.) Since I'm living in germany it isn't the very best to host an exit
> relay in germany, so I need to know which country is (law related) the
> best country I could host my VPS.
> 2.) The choice of a hoster. It's not easy to find a good and reliable
> and (if possible) cheap hoster which allows tor exit relays so I need to
> crawl to whole Good/Bad ISPs list for such providers.
>
> If I had the cash I would rent a server at Cyberbunker but it's to
> expensive to only run a relay there.
>
> I would appreciate if you could help me or at least give me some tips
> with finding the best country and provider.
>
> Thanks. :)

Hi,

just adding a few thoughts.

This issue has been discussed a few times before. In my opinion, even if
there was an ISP that happily accepts Tor exit nodes, we should not
place more and more nodes in their network. Remember that Tor network
needs diversity.

So, i think the goal is to expand the list of Tor-friendly ISPs rather
than picking an entry from that list. You need to contact the ISP
beforehand, explain what a Tor relay is and what is not. Also it helps a
lot to handle yourself the abuse reports rather than letting your ISP do
that.

More information can be found here:
https://blog.torproject.org/blog/tips-running-exit-node-minimal-harassment

Greetings